Re: IPsec and TCP

>This is interesting.  I knew that TCP/IP will be miserably slow when
>you throw DES into it (about 1 Mbit/sec @ 200 Mhz on a Pentium) but I

I don't know where you get such pessimistic figures. My own DES (in a
mix of C and 386 assembler) gets 15.9 megabits/sec on a 133 (not 200)
MHz Pentium, and in triple DES mode gets about 6 megabits as I
recall. The source is free by email to anybody who will state that
they're a US citizen or permanent resident physically in the US.

I routinely encrypt just about all of my remote login/X sessions and
file copies with SSH in the 3DES or IDEA mode, and I hardly notice the
encryption overhead.

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: