Re: Path MTU Discovery

--- On Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:02:35 -0500  "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos@AURORA.CIS.UPENN.EDU> wrote:

> I think that, if not mandate copying the DF bit, the new drafts should
> at least present the benefits of doing so and provide guidelines to
> anyone who wants to have his implementation allow PathMTU. Or it could
> be a separate document altogether.

If one treats the outer IP/ESP as a link-layer, then not copying the DF bit
does not break Path MTU Discovery.  The MTU of the IPsec tunnel is defined
by the IPsec implementation at present.

In any event, I think it would be useful for the next set of drafts to
be clear on this matter.  I'm personally indifferent about what the final
result is.

Ran
rja@inet.org
speaking only for himself