Re: Straw Poll and Alignment

In message <01BC19B1.72DCA5A0@Tastid.Cisco.COM>, Rob Adams writes:

> I don't understand our insistance on linking the size of the
> fields with alignment of the header.

Ok, maybe I'm over-reacting. I just think it's foolish to throw away
information (the extra 32-bits of MAC) only to replace it with padding.
OTOH, I admit that doing so does make MD5 and SHA-1 processing identical,
which again simplifies code, which is the object of this whole process...

(I'll calm down now...)

> Mr. Bellovin's post this morning about a 64 vs. 32 bit replay counter should be convincing enough
> about an rekeying issues.

Agreed.

>  Hugo et al. believe that it is more secure to truncate SHA.

I think that's a bit strong. I read their messages as "it doesn't detract
from the security, and it *may* increase the security".

--
Harald Koch
chk@utcc.utoronto.ca

Follow-Ups: References: