RE: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

While compression make some sense at a transport layer, it also make
sense to implement it with IPSec as well.

Certain situations do not have access to transport layer compression
(ie. firewalls) and IPSec compression would greatly affect performance,
expecially when you consider that in certain situations where a lot of
large packets are being sent accross, adding the ESP header would cause
fragmentation.  When compression is used, fragmentation would not
normally be required.

I don't like the idea of adding it to the pad length field.  Although
255 bytes of padding is more than enough, changing that fields role
might break some current implementations.

I like the idea presented in <draft-sabin-lzs-payload-00.txt>, whereas
the compression byte field is placed as the first byte of the ESP data.
After this byte, is the compressed data.

We might also wish to expand this compression byte field to a small
header for future growth;

Eg:

compression_header :==
{