RE: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

I think that linking compression to a specific set of transforms isn't a good idea.

I would much rather see compression negotiated as part of the ISAKMP exchange
and used for all traffic associated with an SA.  I don't think adding any bits is necessary.
As Naganand said, we already have enough bits and options.  Besides, in the future,
some may want to use compression with other types of transforms than just ESP.   Why for
instance, wouldn't I want to compress an AH packet?  Granted, you won't gain very
much but someone is going to argue that running a hash algorithm over less data is good!

I prefer ISAKMP negotiation because it will allow me to implement it up higher in my stack
than the IP layer.  I think that compressing at the IP layer isn't going to buy you a whole
lot in speed since you're going to be sending out the same number of packets.
If I have a confirmed negotiated compression algorithm/state, my implementation
can do compression in the appropriate place,  above the fragmentation done by
TCP.  Firewalls can do compression before they encrypt or whatever, but then
I'll just get a lot of small encrypted packets from a firewall.  A firewall will get
fully packed, compressed and encrypted packets from me.   That's better than nothing.

The choice of what layer to process compression at should be an implementation detail
as long as it is done before encryption and decompressed after decryption.  In this way,
compression may be useful to things other than IPsec and ESP in particular.  Lumping
compression on ESP doesn't allow us a general compression solution.

I'm not sure compression is that good an idea anyway, and I am not sure that we will gain
very much from its use.  However, if we are going to do compression, I think linking it
specifically to ESP isn't very wise.  Negotiating it and using it on all packets per
association seems to be the only real solution to me.  Adding a bit to say if a packet is
compressed or not seems like overkill.    Granted I don't know a ton about compression
but it seems that a small minority of packets will be expanded by compression
and why check every packet to see if it is compressed or not to save the processing
of one decompression per n packets of compressed data.

Okay, I've babbled long enough.   Direct answers are in order.

>>1. What is the status of adding compression to ESP?

Adding compression to a transform is not good.  Adding compression to the architecture
may or may not be good.  So don't let's add compression to ESP.  Add it, if at all,
to the architecture.

>>2. Placement of the "packet compressed/not-compressed" byte/bit

See answer to 1.  No bit, no byte.

I'd like to see more investigation of how useful compression is before we commit to anything though.
I have a lot of questions about how much we'll gain for what kinds of traffic and over links that do
hardware compression like some modems and routers. Am I the only one that feels like we're rushing
this without enough information?

-Rob Adams
Cisco Systems.