Re: replay window size (Re: Proposed changes to ESP (andf a little

AH too))
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:14:46 -0800
From: Derrell Piper <piper@cisco.com>
Sender: owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com

The size of the replay window should be implementation defined.  There's
nothing you can do in the protocol to force the other end to honor any
particular window size, so you might as well let him choose one that's
efficient for his particular kernel/architecture.  On 32-bit systems, this
will probably be 32, and on Alpha, 64.

Steve Kent suggested in Montreal that the size might want to be negotiated
so that the initiator has some way to indicate to the receiver the
anti-replay size that he believes might be most appropriate.  I think this
adds unnecessary complexity, but I could support this if it's worded
appropriately.  In the past, it has been worded as if increasing the size
of the replay detection window somehow weakens the anti-replay protection.

Derrell