Re: auditing

--- On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 16:47:55 -0500  Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com> wrote:

> >   RADIUS has its own security and does not rely on IPsec, hence there
> > is no circular dependency.
>
> Of course, this means that outbound (and inbound) logging traffic
> needs to be treated the same way as key management traffic, bypassing
> any ipsec policy engine which might trigger the creation or use of a
> security association...
>
> 					- Bill

OR it means that the IPsec Policy Engine knows to bypass RADIUS
traffic around IPsec -- as part of the Policy Engine's knowledge
of the IPsec policy for that system.

Bypassing might be quite reasonable for RADIUS since RADIUS has its own
built-in security.  I suspect that there are in fact N applications where
one doesn't want to apply IPsec on top of some other higher-layer
security mechanism (SSH, SSL, and PEM, provide potential examples of this).

Ran
rja@inet.org