Re: A pothole in ISAKMP/Oakley

> From owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com Tue Apr 15 12:57:42 1997
> From: Dan.McDonald@Eng.sun.com (Dan McDonald)
> Subject: Re: A pothole in ISAKMP/Oakley
> To: ho@earth.hpc.org (Hilarie Orman)
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: ipsec@tis.com
> Sender: owner-ipsec@ex.tis.com
>
> > I will note, however, that if the SPI's are pseudo-randomly generated,
> > as is required by the spec, then the probability of using the same SPI
> > twice should be extremely low.  So the implementations that revealed
> > this problem were defective.
>
> Hilarie is right.  SPI values must be {pseudo-,}randomly generated, if I
> remember the specs correctly.  Implementations that do otherwise are probably
> broken.

Dan, the spec does say so. But if an implementation uses a montonically
increasing counter to generate SPI's for ESP and AH, it can interop with
others. So I think it is worthwhile to put in a safeguard.

Also, I would like to emphasize that Ran's msg is about QUICK Mode
KEYMAT derivation in Phase 2.  It is NOT about Phase 1.

> Dan

Regards, Pau-Chen