RE: Security considerations for L2TP (one last try)!

MIC is a solution that Pat and I had talked about long
time back. Also, I had summarized in an earlier
mail.

I am not against it. However, I do believe
that it is a limited solution (e.g., what happens if
someone proves MD5 is broken?).
Organizations have security policies and security
solutions must be flexible so that these policies
(and objectives there of) are realizable.

IPSEC is a framework under which you can have
flexible security solutions that can meet different
security requirements. Thus, it allows you to provide
value add and a product differentiate. Therefore, it
is a desired security protocol (both from business
and technical point of view). Therefore, we are
recommending IPSEC as the means of meeting
L2TP's security requirements when used over
IP. I am not against implementing other mechanisms
for L2TP over non-IP protocols (so, now there are
two!).

Baiju

Baiju