Re: Re[2]: IPSEC and NAT

At 08:51 AM 8/19/97 -0500, pcalhoun@usr.com wrote:

>     One REALLY STUPID way of doing it is to share the private/public keys
>     between the host and the NAT (I DO NOT RECCOMEND YOU TO DO THIS AT
>     HOME). An alternative is for the NAT to run in tunnel mode on behalf
>     of the initiator (but this assumes that the initiator trusts the NAT,
>     which it probably does not).

I really got to do some writing today :)  But there are a couple of items I
will address here.  First off, until IPsec is deployed at hosts and we come
to agreement on 'chaining' and/or 'nesting' IPsec tunnels and/or
transports, systems behind gateways MUST trust the gateways and gateways
MUST trust gateways in proxying these activities.

It is probably badness to get into a mode of placing host certificates on
gateways.  You might as well only use IP addresses for now and work on
further deploying IPsec asap.

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212