order/nesting of IPsec headers (transport mode)

1. Due to the use of tunneling technologies such as GRE I can imagine a
legitimate case like this:

  AH...AH...ESP

This would be caused by GRE packets travelling from one PPTP device to
another inside a network that requires AH on all nodes.  It's transport
mode because it uses GRE.  The whole packet would be
IPv4...AH...AH...AH...ESP...GRE...

2. I thought the IPv6 folks had text in their specs that said any valid
'next protocol' value was allowed.

3. I recall 1825 said any combination was valid.  Was there a list
discussion on why this should have changed?  Clearly a fixed set of any
size is simpler than an unlimited set, but what were the reasons for
changing the document?