Re: draft of the ISAKMP/Oakley draft

NeXT holds a patent on crypto uses of GF[p] where p is near a power of 2.

See Schroeppel et al. in Crypto '95 for timings for GF[2^n].  Recent work
improves on these times by using nested field extensions.  All the methods
are derived from public domain work and are not subject to patent.

I don't have a comprehensive list of all patents regarding crypto with
GF[2^n], but my understanding as of a year ago was that those that
existed were relevant to hardware, not software.  Maybe a posting
of current relevant patents and titles would be of interest.

If you have pointers to timings for GF[p] I'd be interested.

Hilarie

Follow-Ups: References: