Re-announcing IPsec WIT, the NIST WWW-based IPsec Interop. Tool

This is a re-announcement of the NIST WWW-based IPsec Interoperability
tool, IPsec-WIT.

IPsec-WIT is an interoperability test system built around the NIST
Cerberus IPsec reference implementation and commonly available
WWW technology.  IPsec-WIT allows its users to remotely control and
execute series of interoperability tests with the Cerberus prototype.
Test case selection, configuration, execution and results analysis are
all controlled remotely by WWW browser.

IPsec-WIT is a fairly complex, state-driven, interoperability testing
tool (the complexity is in its implementation, not in its interface).
It has its own simple testing language, retains state information over
a user selectable period of time so users can make changes to their
configuration and re-test, provides results analysis via web pages and
e-mail, and much more.  IPsec-WIT is currently operational with tests
for IPv4 IPsec protocols with over 60 test cases and will soon support
IPv6 as well as ISAKMP key management protocol testing.

For access to IPsec-wit and additional information see:
http://ipsec-wit.antd.nist.gov.  It is recommended that you read through
the tutorial before testing for the first time.

We are surprised and a bit disappointed in the little use IPsec-WIT
has received since our announcement in December 1997.  To date, only
a few people have looked at and used this tool and we have received
no feedback.  All you need to use IPsec-WIT is a WWW browser with
support for multi-body pages, tables, and forms (Netscape and Internet
Explorer both should work fine).  Also, the browser should have access to
ipsec-wit.antd.nist.gov without going through the IPsec box being tested,
otherwise, an interoperability failure will result in no connectivity
between the browser and the httpd server.

If you do try to use IPsec-WIT and have comments on how to "make it
better", please send them to us (either via the "feedback" utility on the
web page or to ipsec-wit-dev@mail.antd.nist.gov).  IPsec-WIT development
is part of a currently active project and we would appreciate any
feedback we can get.  Over the next few weeks we hope to be adding an
ISAKMP prototype to the IPsec-WIT engine along with an additional set
of interoperability tests.

Best Regards,

Rob G.
rob.glenn@nist.gov