Re: Certificate Requesting

   From: Greg Carter <greg.carter@entrust.com>
   Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:51:49 -0500

   Thanks you just made my point.  Like it says "any point during the
   exchange".
   I would not interpret this to mean that I can arbitrarily extend the
   exchange. There is plenty of opportunity to send the cert request during
   the defined exchange.

The text I quoted is from the ISAKMP document; within the context of
ISAKMP, there can be an arbitrary number of round-trips.  IKE rides on
top of ISAKMP, and defines three round trips for main mode, and one and
a half round trips for quick mode.  However, IKE doesn't restrict the
number of round-trips to those it defines.

Note that the ISAKMP spec also states:

	The responder to the Certificate Request payload
	MUST send its immediate certificate, if certificates are supported,

So your interpretation would require violating this part of the ISAMP
spec.

							- Ted