Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-02.txt

D. Hugh Redelmeier writes:
> Section 4.3 states:
>
>            o Transport adjacency refers to applying more than one security
>              protocol to the same IP datagram, without invoking tunneling.
>              This approach to combining AH and ESP allows for only one
>              level of combination; further nesting yields no added benefit
>              since the processing is performed at one IPsec instance the
>              (ultimate) destination.
>
> This statement must be assuming that two composed ESP transforms are
> no more secure than a single one (otherwise the conclusion is false).
> Similarly, it must assume that two AHs don't lead to more confidence.
> I think that neither of these assumptions is true.

For each of {ESP, AH} the IPsec suite allows for SAs whose transforms
involve combinations of algorithms, modes, and keylengths that are
believed to offer high levels of long-term security. If you accept
these cryptographic judgments then you have cause to expect that a
single application of the transforms in an appropriately-chosen
ESP (respectively AH) SA in transport mode provides the desired level of
security. Once a portion of a system is "secure enough" w.r.t. the
anticipated threat model, efforts to "strengthen" that portion of the
system don't actually increase the security of the system. So an
additional adjacent transport mode application of ESP (resp. AH)
transforms is no more secure than the solo case.

If you reject some of the cryptographic assumptions underlying the
defined set of algorithms, etc., then multiple adjacent applications
_might_ offer you greater security than any single application. This
would depend upon the nature and complexity of the additional attacks
to which you believe the affected algorithm(s) is (are) susceptible.

> On the other hand,
> one approach available is to add a new AH or ESP that is equivalent to
> the compositions of interest.

Right. At various times it will probably happen that some existing
algorithms fall into cryptographic disfavor, and people will see the
need to define some new ones. However at any given time the operative
premise is that the available algorithms offer sufficient security
guarantees without multiple adjacent applications. Those who aren't
content with the status quo can define the protocol use of algorithms
with which they feel more comfortable.

Architectural support for composition of algorithms via adjacent
applications of transforms from multiple SAs would therefore be
redundant, as far as I can see.

-Lewis  <pseudonym@acm.org>  <http://www.cs.umass.edu/~lmccarth>