Re: ipsec vs. firewalls

This is hardly unique to IPSEC. SSH can already do something very
similar, albeit limited to TCP. I've already used it to work around
the annoying firewall that keeps me from logging in directly to my
office workstation from home over a cable modem:

(on office workstation)

ssh -x -f -c blowfish -R1234:127.0.0.1:22 ip_address_of_home_system sleep 1000000

(on home machine)

ssh -p 1234 127.0.0.1

It's not as clean as I would like, but it works. I used it heavily
until I got an ADSL service installed that brought me in behind the
firewall.

>Finally, I suspect that some people will regard anything that
>cripples firewalls as a feature.  With all due respect, I tend
>to differ...

(rising to the bait) Firewalls are dead. Get used to it. :-)

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: