Re: ipsec vs. firewalls

I'd like to add my two-cents worth:

A firewall is in its essence, a device that attempts to provide access
control, without authentication.  So, in terms of its technical viability,
it was never alive (so far).

In terms of its commercial viabilty, worldwide firewall sales reached
36,600 units last year, up 266%.  Meanwhile, the average purchase price
of firewalls has fallen precipitously.  Cost of ownership of course
remains high.

I think firewalls survive because (i) they are still really the only
game there is, and (ii) while occupying that niche, they have managed to
dominate mindshare in the network security market.

Nonetheless, organization-level access control is probably an important
security service and something like a firewall is probably the right way
to do it.  The trick is to be able to passively authenticate datagrams.

Regards,
Mitch Nelson

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Damien Wetzel wrote:

> hi phil ,
> excuse me to mind you,
> im working for a french provider as a presale engineer,
> i'm thinking as steve that firewall are not going to last long
> but most of our client are asking for them,
>
> So could you tell me why you are saying that :
> >
> >(rising to the bait) Firewalls are dead. Get used to it. :-)
> >
> >Phil
> >
> thanks

Follow-Ups: References: