3DES (was: ipsec vs. firewalls)

I'm not sure that a discussion on the merits of firewalls is very
profitable here.  Regardless of whether or not we like them, I think
we can all agree that firewalls are real, and are likely to remain so,
and IPSEC (and everything else) should take notice of them.

A more interesting topic is whether or not 3DES should be mandatory-
to-implement.  I suggest that it should be -- DES is obviously doomed
(pick your favorite time constant), and we should take that into
account.  We're better off if the IPSEC boxes being deployed now are
ready to switch.