RE: 3DES

Are US export laws in some favored position?  The US is not the only
country with export restrictions, and some even have tighter crypto
controls.  I think these decisions should be made on technical grounds
rather than political ones.  Note that there's no guarantee that you'll
get export permission from the US for your product even with
full-strength single DES, so leaving out 3DES may not buy you anything
in any case.

If 3DES is left out of MUST, it should be because it's too slow relative
to other strong systems, or because the block size is too small, or
because we expect to replace both DES and 3DES with AES within 2 or 3
years... but not because we want to take the pressure off some country's
BXA.

	Jim Gillogly