Re: Latest AH/ESP/Arch drafts and changes

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

>    Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:07:01 +0100
>    From: Peter Curran <pcurran@ticl.co.uk>

>    Bit disappointed to see that you did not tidy up the item concerning the
>    handling of IPv6 hop-limit when using tunnel-mode between two boxes, as
>    opposed to the case of forwarding into a tunnel.  I think that the
>    discussion here and on the IPNG list agreed that the wording required
>    clarification to differentiate the cases.  Is there a reason, or is it a
>    future task, or was it done anyway but not included in your abstract?

> I at least didn't get the sense that there was consensus about what
> specific wording changes could be made to make things more clear.

I think one can argue that the text as written is not incorrect.
However, given the confusion on this point, it might be a good idea to
add a sentence to insure there is no misunderstanding.  Specifically,
for the text:

        2. The TTL in the inner header is decremented by the
           encapsulator prior to forwarding and by the decapsulator if
           it forwards the packet.  (The checksum changes when the TTL
           changes.)

how about adding something like:

	   Note: The decrementing of the TTL is one of the usual
	   actions that takes place when forwarding a packet. Packets
	   originating from the same node as the encapsulator do not
	   have their TTLs decremented, as the sending node is
	   originating the packet rather than forwarding it.

Thomas

Follow-Ups: References: