RE: 40bit DES? & IBM Patents

 Bob> ....  I suggest that if IPSEC wants a weak crypto
 Bob> algorithm that they pick some algorithm other than CDMF DES.
 Bob> For example, the IETF already has paperwork allowing reasonable
 Bob> use of CAST, SAFER, and RC2 without any MINOR concessions.

One good reason for pursuing such a suggestion apart from the ones Bob
quoted is performance.  As everyone knows, DES40 is just as slow as
real DES.  A bit of research would be in order, but it may well be
that other 40-bit capable cryptosystems are substantially faster and
would be preferable.  (I'm thinking of software crypto in particular,
where performance is most likely to be an issue -- it's well known
that DES is pessimized for software implementation...)

	paul