Re: Revised drafts -- Arch, AH, ESP

> From owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com Thu Jul  2 15:51:50 1998
> Date:     Thu, 2 Jul 98 17:08:28 EDT
> From: Karen Seo <kseo@bbn.com>
> To: ipsec@tis.com
> cc: rgm-sec@htt-consult.com, tytso@MIT.EDU, skent@bbn.com, clynn@bbn.com,
>         kseo@bbn.com
> Subject:  Revised drafts -- Arch, AH, ESP
> Sender: owner-ipsec@ex.tis.com
>
> Folks,
>
> In follow-up to Thomas Narten's (IESG) feedback (see Ted Ts'o's email of
> 5/22/98) and subsequent email, we have submitted to the IETF secretariat
> revised versions of the following drafts:
>         o AH -- draft-ietf-ipsec-auth-header-06.txt
>         o ESP -- draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v2-05.txt
>         o Architecture -- draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-05.txt
>
> A summary of the changes that were made is attached below.
>
> Karen
<... snip>

Karen,

    I posted a list of queries a while back to this list. Some of these
were responded to and others were not. I would appreciate if you could
respond to the following and update the "Security Architecture" draft
as necessary with the responses.

1. Sections 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 - Secure Policy data base and selectors

   The policy selectors such as source Address, Destination Address,
   Transport Layer Protocol, Transport port no. etc. are allowed to
   be either discrete numbers or a wildcard; Nothing in between.
   Yet, there is no mention of multiple SPD entries using the same SA.
   (For example, how do I create a policy that uses a single SA to
   encrypt TCP and UDP packets?)

   I believe, the following posting from Stephen Kent answers this.
   But, this needs to be documented, considering that the restriction
   stated will likely be reviewed for removal in IPsecond.