Coursework research

I request the indulgence of this list to ask if anybody can help point me
in the right direction.  I am doing some grad-school coursework in computer
security and hope to do a brief paper on a topic connected with IPSec.
Since IPSec is a rather complex group of standards I am still trying to
wade through the principal RFCs and drafts and sort out the relationship of
all the different parts of IPSec.

I am interested in looking at management of the "many-to-many problem" -- a
problem which may be faced by my own organization  -- where you need to
securely configure a potentially large number (e.g. several hundred to a
few  thousand) devices, each of which may need to communicate bilaterally
with any other in the system without a great deal of manual labor. Are
there any RFCs or drafts that deal with this issue... and are there
alternative approaches?

I will greatly appreciate any pointers on this issue.

Jack Aubert