Re: IBM VPN Bakeoff Issues

    Stephen> I'm not talking about modifying the spec.  I'm reminding people
    Stephen> of why we restricted the number of MUST support cases, and
    Stephen> observing that when one ventures outside of this realm,
    Stephen> interoperability is likely to suffer greatly.  In an effort to
    Stephen> get these documents out the door, we were implored by a set of
    Stephen> implementaors to simplify previous versions of the architecture
    Stephen> document which had called for supporting iterated nesting of
    Stephen> SAs.

  This is all well and good, and is fine.
  Some people want to go beyond the MUSTs (and/or have customers who want
them to), and this is good. The architecture is explicitely extendible.
  The problem is that some people, having read the MUSTs, assume that this
is all that is possible, and therefore want to interpret two unequal
proposals for non-MUSTs processing as being the same as something that is a
MUST.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.

Follow-Ups: References: