Re: IKE implementation

> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 99 17:30:20 BST
> From: Madalina Baltatu <baltatu@athena.polito.it>

> I'm new in IPsec, and I would like to know if there is any (if
> possible) free, functional (more or less) IKE implementation (for
> BSD systems) around...  something that can be distributed for
> universities for study/test purposes?  I'd appreciate any info.

I and Niels Provos have written an implementation called isakmpd,
sponsored by Ericsson Radio Systems, but released under BSD license.

The code is available either as part of OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org,
there are links on how to get the source on the web) in
src/sbin/isakmpd, or from ftp.appli.se or ftp.gsnig.net in
/pub/isakmpd.  The former variant is crippled in two ways, no RSA
functionality due to patent reasons and no foreign OS support.
However, the latter variant has not been updated in a long time.
Let's see if I can put up a snapshot tomorrow or so...  If you are
really interested in participating in the development there is of
course a third way, getting an account to our CVS repository, but for
setting up that I require to see some initial bug-hunting with fixes
or feature additions.

This implementation is still under development, but it is possible to
use if you do not care to much of easy configuration and such.  It has
been shown to interoperate with a dozen or so of other IKE
implementations.

Niklas