Re: ipsec through firewalls (was re:INITIAL-CONTACT issues)

If the administrator feels that way, then I think the compromise I'd
like the architecture to support is this:

(minimal portions of forwarded mail copied...)

>   +-----+        +----+               +-----+
>   | E1  |--------| FW |===INTERNET====| E2  |
>   +-----+        +----+               +-----+

1. Establish an authentication-only connection between E1 and
FW.  This allows the operator of FW to 'trust' E1 (or not)
2. Somehow (inside the E1->FW tunnel?) E1 is then permitted to
establish a tunnel with E2.

Note this might require something mildly bizarre like running IKE
_through_ an E1->FW, Auth-only tunnel.  So suddenly I'd want E1
to allow IKE over 'raw' IP to FW as well as IKE over 'tunnelled' IP to
E2.

Alternatively, you have two 'butted tunnels', a tunnel from E1-FW,
Auth-only, and a tunnel from FW to E2, encrypted and such.

Date sent:      	Sat, 08 May 1999 06:49:15 -0700
From:           	"Scott G. Kelly" <sgkelly@ix.netcom.com>