Re: ipsec through firewalls (was re:INITIAL-CONTACT issues)

The 3 situations Scott has described are actually system integration
strategies that administrators can use with VPN devices.  As a field
engineer for a VPN company who has integrated many systems in customer
locations, I feel that I can provide a real world view of this issue.  If
this is off topic, my apoligies to the list.

The objection sysadmins have to two of these strategies - parallel and
behind the firewall - are because policies that control application level
traffic bypass the firewall. Additionally, because the firewalls typically
control TCP/UDP packets, sysadmins have trouble establishing policies for
IPSec packets (IPSEC 50/51) in the firewall.  Integrating in front of a
firewall is problematic when the firewall controlls access from public
networks to private networks (eg 10.x.x.x networks).

There is a fourth integration method that has been successfully used.  This
implementation is to insert a third NIC in the firewall, create a
trusted/private network, and connect the VPN device to that third NIC.  The
sysadmins are able to establish policies to application traffic that comes
through the VPN.  However, sysadmins who object to "fiddling" with their
operational firewall usually end up adopting the parallel method.

Integrating a VPN device behind a firewall has been found to be problematic
when NAT is implemented as a firewall policy.  I have found that working
with devices that provide AH header & ESP trailer, and provide the ability
of the administrator to generate a NULL digital signature for packet level
authentication have proven to be successful.  I can hear the howls now.
Customer education is very important here because the ramifications of
establishing such a policy must be explained to the customer.  Having been
educated, the administrator is then able determine if the implementation of
such a policy with respect to VPN traffic is acceptable.  Such an
implementation works mainly for site to site VPNs, and has been found to be
problematic with remote access VPN implementations.