RE: ipsec through firewalls (was re:INITIAL-CONTACT issues)

Firewall Q:

Firewall? What firewall?

I know it is a leap of faith, but folk will just have to get used to
trusting their IPSEC security gateways.  If you can get that far, then you
don't need a Firewall for the IPSEC tunnel traffic, so you don't have to
poke holes.

If you want to share an Internet connection for Firewalls and Security
Gateways, you can set them up in parallel:

(hope this line picture comes out...)

Internet====Packet-Filter Router--------Firewall-----Intranet

-----SG----------Intranet

i.e. the Firewall and SG both have exposure to whatever gets past the rough
packet filtering of the Internet-connected router.

Any application level policy can be either part of the IPSEC policy, or
implemented 'out-side' IPSEC in a firewall style.

Another option used by some is to feed the 'Intanet' tap of the SG back into
the firewall, it all depends on what sort of policies are in place for
'private' traffic - after all, the IPSEC Tunnel should be providing the
equivalent of a leased line connection to a remote office - typically there
is no restriction on this traffic.  In the case of Extranet links to
partners, then you have more of a problem.

My suggests would be (not that I know squat about firewalls):

For 'private' tunnels, use an SG in parallel with simple level 2  policy.

For Extranet tunnels, use an SG in parallel or use tunnel support within the
firewall (if any). For the parallel SG case, either make provision within
the SG for additional policy control, or feed Extranet tunnels back into the
firewall (as mentioned by another noter).

TCP Q:

There do seem to be some cracks showing in IKE connection phase (we have
been using a lot of IKE duct-tape lately).  I guess it would not take us too
long to get IKE running over TCP instead - it may be worth a try, and we may
even offer the option for like-to-like running, if it makes life easier.

Steve.