Re: ipsec through firewalls (was re:INITIAL-CONTACT issues)

"Waters, Stephen" wrote:
<trimmed...>

> TCP Q:
>
> There do seem to be some cracks showing in IKE connection phase (we have
> been using a lot of IKE duct-tape lately).  I guess it would not take us too
> long to get IKE running over TCP instead - it may be worth a try, and we may
> even offer the option for like-to-like running, if it makes life easier.

I agree that there are connection-related problems with ISAKMP/IKE as
currently implemented. Perhaps a better line of questioning is this: why
was transport independence a design goal for ISAKMP to begin with, and
is it still a design goal? When you answer these questions, you
ascertain whether it is appropriate to discuss whether or not to rely
upon TCP for connection-related reliability.

Scott