RE: ISP's who assign unrouteable addresses

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Richard Draves wrote:
> > On the other hand, I think ISP's that use NAT are short-changing their
> > customers. Is there anything we can offer a customer who is stuck
> > with one of the unrouteable addresses? ...
>
> Here's a solution: run IPv6 over IPv4. Then you will be oblivious to any NAT
> at the v4 level.

The same solution also works without IPv6 involved:  create a tunnel, and
do whatever you want inside it.  (For extra credit, tunnel out to some
cooperative site on the Internet, and have them loan you some real address
space.  The Linux FreeS/WAN docs call this trick "extruded subnets", as
the overall effect is that part of the other end's subnet is extruded
through the tunnel to you.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net
                                                     (henry@zoo.toronto.edu)