Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-01.txt

  Dr. Zhou has forwarded me the paper and I'll try to summarize:

      The Initiator offers two transforms, T1 and T2 to the Responder
      who chooses T2 and sends it back. This is intercepted by the
      attacker and changed to be T1 before being forwarded on to the
      Initiator. Now the Initiator thinks T1 was accepted and the
      Responder thinks T2 was accepted. It's noted in the paper (and
      was pointed out by Kivinen on the list) that the only difference
      between the two can be the lifetime. The attacker has to send
      back a transform that the Initiator sent in the first place
      and if the difference between T1 and T2 is more than just the
      lifetime the exchange will fail due to various errors (decryption
      failed, authentication failed, etc).

The paper goes on to suggest changing SAi_b in the authenticating
hash calculation to SAr_b. But this will allow an attacker to modify
the Initiator's offers and remove certain offers-- for instance the
offer is [(3DES, group 5, etc) || (CAST, group 5, etc) || (DES, group 1,
etc)] and it becomes a single offer of [(DES, group 1, etc)].

  The suggested change is flawed but if the working group thinks this
attack is serious we can include both SAi_b and SAr_b in the hash
calculations to prevent this.

  Dan.

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:27:25 +0800 you wrote