RE: Secret public keys

Yes, I believe your suggestion (copied below) would fix the off-line
cracking problem, and is supported in IKE today. BUT, it has problems in
that, to a large extent, it will through VPN role into confusion!

The model would be:-

Client is loaded with:
a) private key (password protected still, just for laughs)
b) certificate of VPN server
c) certificate of VPN server signer (CA certificate)

I can deliver all this information to the client in a PKCS#12 file.

As you say, the private key can now be impossible (very hard) to crack,
because the client's public key is not accessible (hopefully).

The client now 'connects' to the VPN server to engage in a signature
authentication passing some id.

The problem I have now is mapping that id to the client's public key or
certificate in a manageable way. I hope we can agree that managing
public-key to id mapping can only be handled by using the CA/certificate
approach.  For me to be able to find the appropriate certificate, I would
need most of the information typically passed (by the client) in a
certificate.

To back-track a bit. My previous model was to have the VPN client send their
certificate as part of the IKE exchange. This allows me greater flexibility.
If the client did not send their certificate, a simple id (DN, IP, DNS..)
may not be sufficient to resolve the correct certificate.

I think (just made it up, so this is probably tosh but..) what is needed to
fix this is a new type of certificate, a certificate with no public key in
it!

When I enrol, the CA would now generate two sister certificates: one
'public' one, and one 'private' one.  The 'public' one would contain now
public key, but would allow the 'private' certificate to be found using the
contain DN/Signer/Serial number.

The VPN client is then loaded with the 'public' certificate, and presents
this to the VPN server. The VPN server uses this certificate (once tested
for trustworthiness) to retrieve the 'private' certificate that does have
the public key.

Even if this makes sense, is it too late?
Steve.