RE: Secret public keys

At 02:08 PM 7/23/99 +0100, Stephen Waters wrote:
>Can you explain this bit "Maybe XAUTH doesn't get us there.  But IKE as-is
>doesn't seem
>to do it either."
>
>IKE supports (today) the concept of "secret public keys". It's just a
>signature exchange.

Simple.  IKE doesn't yet use secret public keys in a way that protects
low-entropy private keys.

More specifically, IKE does not support a zero-knowledge password
proof, which prevents network disclosure of a small password and at
the same time authenticate the key exchange with the password.
It can be done in several ways, and I thought that the philosophy
motivating XAUTH and the technology of IKE fit particularly well
with EKE-style techniques.

>You are right that password protecting the private information is still the
>weak point, but if the private information is stored in such a way that it
>is not obvious when you have cracked it, the attacker won't know when he has
>the right password.

That's a big IF.  Storing the information in a "non obvious" way
still sounds weak to me.  Better to not store it locally at all.
I can do this today with well-built password systems, and I'd
rather not be encouraged to take a step backwards to use IPSEC.

To be conservative, one should presume that if software can find
even an obscured locally stored private key, then then an attacker
can too.  One should also presume that if it's a user-chosen
key, then it's crackable.

>This is an improvement on what we had before with all the tools (public key
>/cracked-private key) available, but it still relies on the sensible use of
>passwords. Whatever can be used to improve this weakness would be welcome.

What you suggest is not an improvement over all systems.
And your implied meaning of "sensible use" misses the point.

The entire concept of "sensible use of passwords" is relative
to the system in which they're used.  Take an ATM machine.  A four-digit
password seems to work fine there with appropriate revocation rules.
With better password systems, it becomes much easier to enforce
sensible use rules, which makes it possible for more users to
operate securely.

Deploying a new crypto system that relies on cryptographically-long
passwords for security is a step in the wrong direction, and
introduces unnecessary risk for users in many situations.

Follow-Ups: References: