Re: IPSEC tunnels for LAN-to-LAN interop issue

Yes, what I think people want today for Security Gateways is VPN
tunnel portals, with pre-defined point-to-point links.  That's why
we're going to see of lot of IP over PPP over L2TP over IPSec
transport.

PPP also addresses the link-up detection issue.  Use echo request and
reply, or full LQM.  (Or trust OSPF hellos to detect what matters.)

This won't address the issue of a Security Gateway at company A that
wants to let host 2 at company B access host 1 in company A.  But I
think that involves many unsolved policy issues.  (How do I know I
should trust host 2.  What if company B wants to keep the trustedness
of host 2 a secret?  What if company A wants to keep the accesibility
of host 1 a secret from everyone but company B?  Nightmare...)