RE: monitoring anti-replay detection in AH and ESP

Comments inline...

Yes, they aren't free.  On the other hand, the events that cause them
shouldn't be "first order" in terms of common-ness.  (The exception is
shifting out one bit of 0.)

Perhaps we can put them in as optional?  (Theoretically: let the market
decide?)

There certainly is always comparing the packet counters at the transmitting
and receiving SA's.  But that assumes that you are granted SNMP access to
the sender's SA MIB entries.  No assurance of that, you may only have access
to the reciever.

> Another small point:
>
> Many replays can be detected without doing packet authentication
> first.  So the "replay in window" and "replay out of window" cases
> actually have three possible causes, not just two: duplication or
> major resequencing; replay; packet forgery.  That last case can be
> distinguished by doing the integrity check, but doing that on a packet
> already known to be unacceptable would be a bit silly.

Yeah, that level of diagnosis is probably excessive.  There are other tools
that come into play when forgery is detected...