Re: Racing QM Initiator's

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Radha Gowda wrote:

> > Please note that until such a statement makes it into the rfc, what you
> > are doing may not be interoperable.
> >

> I fully understand that, and it had been my intention all along  to find
> out how others deal with it.
>
> > Why is it such a problem to support both initiator and responder for both
> > phase 1 and phase 2 SA's? A robust implementation should be able to do
> > this.
>
> Since it is not spelt out in the RFC on how to handle race condition,
> different people could interpret it differently.

Well.. no. Rather, two people should NOT interpret this at all, but let it go
with 2 phase 1's (or phase 2's).

> I'd find it rather
> confusing to see two phase1 SAs between the same addresses.

I agree, and I like your solution, personally (I've thought about doing this
very same thing a few times), but it's not per-standard, so it's a dangerous
thing to do for interoperability reasons.

To the list at large:

Why can't we put verbiage like this into the RFC? Is there some reason this
is a bad thing to do?

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: