From: Dan Harkins [mailto:dharkins@Network-Alchemy.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 5:46 PM
To: Andrew Krywaniuk
Cc: Joern Sierwald; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Phase 1 KB lifetime

  I'd like to nip this in the bud. The "just go ahead and enforce a
lifetime,
just don't tell me about it" combined with "implementations are not required
to interperet lifetime notifies" is probably the reason that people have
problems with rekeying.

  It is _never_ a good idea to just enforce a lifetime without telling the
peer (assuming, as we all remember from 3rd grade, makes an ass out of you
and me). Similarly it is _never_ a good idea to ignore the lifetime notify
a peer gives you.

  If it has to be expressly stated in the RFC (I'm a bit surprised by this
line of reasoning though) then so be it.

  Dan.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:43:29 EST you wrote