Re: Use of Encryption in Heartbeat Packets

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:
> I want to get people's opinion on one subject that is not clear to me, which
> is whether heartbeat packets should be both encrypted and authenticated or
> just authenticated.

The business of deciding on a bit-by-bit basis which things need to be
encrypted and/or authenticated leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  It adds
complexity to the design for no very good reason, and there's always the
possibility that such an assessment might be wrong for some subtle reason.
It's simpler and safer to just encrypt *everything*.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net