RE: Use of Encryption in Heartbeat Packets

If you're worried about the protocol being attacked, then authentication is
a must.  As Henry wrote, the less encrypt/bypass decisions there are the
safer the product.

I'm a little concerned that you think encryption will enable you to reject
datagrams earlier.  I presume that you mean you can decrypt the initial few
bytes of the datagram to check for good plaintext.  This may have some
merit, but it's not a substitute for authentication and probably not that
useful over all.  An attacker can still modify later bytes in the datagram
which would pass any sensible decryption test but not the authentication
check.

The heart beat protocol continues to raise feelings a little.  My view is
that there should an SA by which the protocol is protected.  I think it
could be the ISAKMP SA, though others would rather it were separate.  I am
against putting it though a regular SA (ie a user negotiated one) unless
there's some significant change in the SA semantics - eg Transport mode with
IP-in-IP tunnelling for user traffic.

I think that there only need to send heartbeats in the absence of regular
traffic.  This makes an assumption that if there's a valid SA up in the peer
then they all are.  I think this is a good assumption, though there going to
be extreme cases where it's not true.  In any case, a further assumption
would be that if a particular SA had gone down and the peer was generating
authenticated heartbeats that there would be still an authenticated SA by
which the peer could report the loss of the SA.  If it costs more in CPU to
check whether a heart beat has been sent than the loss in bandwidth, then
there's nothing to stop the heart beats being sent anyway.

There are some schemes that involve ping type operations.  They have the
advantage that it is possible to detect peer loss without any support in the
peer but I've not seen any proposal that works without bending the rules, eg
spoofing addresses to meet the SA.

Chris