RE: Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

Mason, David writes:
> The problem was that RFC 2394 did not make it "_perfectly_
> clear that the header and checksum MUST NOT be used".
> Unfortunately both RFC 2394 and 1951 refer to the zlib
> source/documentation for use as a freely available
> deflate compliant package without mentioning the fact
> that the header/checksum should not be used.  Since the
> header/checksum is the default mode of zlib and that not
> using the header/checksum feature is undocumented (and
> RFC 1950 mandates use of the checksum) this caused problems.
>
> If we're voting on the issue, I would join Joern to keep
> a single ID for Deflate with the drawback that "broken"
> implementations won't interoperate with correct implementations.
> And hopefully upgrading all the "broken" implementations
> won't be too painful.

I think somebody should then add some text to RFC2394 document, about
how to use those undocumented features. This could be added as
"Appendix A Implementation notes when using zlib library" or
something.
--
kivinen@iki.fi                               Work : +358 303 9870
SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/