Re: I-D ACTION:draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt

Claudio Lordello writes:
> I am not clear on what you mean by "create a rfc that will update
> the current IPsec DOI". The DOI is a RFC, therefore untouchable. Are

RFCs is not untouchable, even when the text itself cannot be edited.
You can just create new RFC which will get new number, that will
update the old RFC.

> you proposing that my draft cut-and-paste the whole IPsec DOI, add
> the new VPN ID types and, if it reaches rfc status, obsoletes
> RFC2407, taking its place instead ?

That is one option, and that is usually done when there are too many
updates to the RFC (i.e when the update chain gets too long).

You can also just create RFC that contains the newly defined values
and update the old IPsec DOI.

For example RFC 2794 (Mobile IP Network Access Identifier Extension
for IPv4) updates the RFC 2290 (Mobile-IPv4 Configuration Option for
PPP IPCP), which updates RFC 2002 (IP Mobility Support). Here we have
base RFC 2002, that updated by adding configuration option support in
RFC 2290, and then the RFC 2794 added one more option to configuration
option support.
--
kivinen@ssh.fi                               Work : +358 303 9870
SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/