Re: MODP groups draft concern

Jesse,

    In practice, one cannot achieve the kind of certainty you propose. All
computations are subject to failure, even if they software itself is
bug-free. How much more common are random bit errors than, say, a composite
surviving 200 iterations of Miller-Rabin.

    I think the only algorithm which can, in reasonable time, prove the
primality of such a large prime is the ECPP algorithm Tero mentioned. It is
very complicated and I would not be surprised to find bugs in any
implementation of it. Miller-Rabin is much simpler. Given the probabilities
at play here, it is only fair to analyze the effect that random bit errors
might have on the comptutations in ECPP. Might such an error at a critical
stage of the ECPP computation lead it to declare a composite prime? Of
course! Why have more faith in an ECPP "proven" prime than a Miller-Rabin
"probable prime". I guess one could retain the ECPP proof forever as a
certificate of primality and subject it to periodic reverification, but I
suspect only Francois Morain, Tero, and a few others could actually do so.

    Is it not conjectured that no composites can survive a small number of
Miller-Rabin tests? Or that none can survive a small number of Miller-Rabin
and Lucas tests?

    The number in question is prime with either probability 1 or probability
0, but proving such a large number is prime may be impossible in this
universe.

Greg Stark, gstark@ethentica.com
Chief Security Architect
Ethentica, Inc.