Re: Increased sequence number in ESP/AH

Steve,

Is there a summary of your presentation you could post for those of us who
were unable to attend the last meeting?

A couple of comments on replay and clustering.

I don't have any problem with 64-bit replay sequence numbers.  The math is
lost in the noise and the additional sequence space will be needed very
soon now.

Regarding clustered IPSec SA's, I like Bill's proposal, though I tend to
want to try to solve the problem with a single SA (pair).  However,
something like a simple negotiated replay window set is also problematic
when you allow your clusters to dynamically resize (as we do).  You'd have
to provide a mechanism to negotiate a new replay window when you added
another node not present during the initial negotation.  The beauty of
Bill's proposal is that this is just another Quick Mode.  However, this
will cost us O(n) in IPSec SA memory usage, where 'n' is the size of a
cluster, given our failover guarantees.  We currently achieve our 250ms
failover in O(1) IPSec SA memory usage.  This isn't very appealing to us
when you consider that we support 20K+ tunnels in our high end systems.  On
the third hand (:-), it's just memory.

How about this:

	1) add a replay 'flow id' to the ESP header or trailer and include it in
the integrity check
	2) require the receiver to support multiple replay windows, per SA,
indexed by flow id
	3) require that the flow id be unique for the lifetime of the SA and
forbid reuse of flow id's
	4) require the receiver to switch to a new replay window upon receipt of
an unknown flow id

This allows the sender to start transmiting on a new replay window
following load-balancing, failover,
or a cluster resizing/remastering.  With sufficient restrictions, there's
no effective security risk.

I do think this is an important problem to solve.  Despite the advances in
COTS hardware acceleration, the only way we're going to deal with increased
pipe sizes in the near future is through parallelism/clustering.

Derrell

--On Friday, January 26, 2001 12:02 AM +0000 David Wagner
<daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

 > By the way, Sommerfeld's suggestion of generating N SA's for N degrees of
 > parallelism sounds even better -- it requires no changes to the standard
 > whatsoever.  I had thought that, for some reason, you wanted to keep all
 > the traffic on the same SA, but if you're happy with with Sommerfeld's
 > solution, so much the better!

Follow-Ups: References: