Re: ipsec error protocol

Sankar,

><snip>
>
>  >
>  >Question: what if every ESP (for instance) packet would piggy back an
>acknowledgement field (in both direction) ? That would solve quite a few
>issues, no ? And would also be much more efficient.
>  >

>I do not understand what you have in mind for the semantic of
>acknowledgement field.
>
>Yes, it would be nice to have an 'RECEIPT-NEEDED' and 'RECEIPT' type of
>flags
>in the ESP. It would also be nice to have versioning in ESP.
>Any reason why versioning was left out of the initial ESP design?

Good question. I think we envisioned an IKE negotiation for this, but
it could have been done better. No place for a small version number
up front, given alignment considerations, and if we assume a general
need for a negotiation for an SA prior to its establishment, then
that's the right time to find out what your peer can support, e.g.,
re versions.  For now, I see no need to create a new version of ESP.
For example, we're planning to accommodate bigger sequence numbers
via a negotiation but NO change in the on the wire format. Thus I
don't see other requirements that would motivate a change to the
format to accommodate  the sort of flags you cite.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: