Re: Minutes for the IPSEC meeting in Minneapolis

> I was wondering if anybody knows the document number
> for the 3GPP draft John Iannodis mentioned below.

I believe the reference is to this document:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-map-doi-01.txt

This document deals with using ISAKMP/IKE for securing
a legacy protocol, MAP, in the 3G architecture.

While we are on the subject, you may also be interested to
know that the 3GPP is planning to use IPsec in gateways
and/or network nodes to secure IP signalling traffic. This
deals only with network internal signaling, not the user's
traffic. That would be handled end-to-end. One interesting
case for that is the IP multimedia service, which is SIP and
RTP based. Various ways to introduce security to SIP have
been discussed but nothing is decided yet, neither on actual
message protection (e.g. PGP, IPsec, S/MIME, ...) nor the
authentication. For the authentication part, a desire propably
exists to reuse the UMTS secret-key -based authentication
scheme due to its low computational costs and availability.

For the actual media flows, the first standard releases
propably don't mandate security yet. But when they do, a good
candidate to run bandwidth efficient and wireless friendly
encryption can be found from
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-srtp-00.txt

As always, input is appreciated on these and other topics
related to the 3rd generation mobile networks.

Jari Arkko
Ericsson