allowing transport mode...

With reference to section 4.1 in RFC 2401 I have a question on the following
statement.

Note that for the case where traffic is destined for a
security gateway, e.g., SNMP commands, the security gateway is acting
as a host and transport mode is allowed.

What is the rationale behind allowing transport mode in case
of one of the peers being a security gateway. One seems to be
network management. What others would allow a security gateway
to act as a host in the ipsec world. If we were to collectively ( instead of
identifying
applications that allow this ) say, what would we the bottomline
for allowing transport mode in case of a security gateway acting
as a host in IPSec.

gautam