From: Chris Trobridge [mailto:CTrobridge@baltimore.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 10:25 AM
To: Joern Sierwald; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

The scenario I'm talking about is where the service provider wants to NAT
the private addresses, ie the inner addresses if tunnelling.  Obviously this
is completely contrary to the RFCs but ownership/management issues make it
hard to place the NAT before encryption (when customer encrypts and service
provider NATs).

I don't think it can be done but I'm looking for some consensus or other
evidence on this point.

Chris

> The consensus among IPsec vendors is ESPoUDP. You use tunnel mode,
> and insert a UDP header in front of the ESP header. This is
> dead simple and works with normal NAT boxes.
>
> Problems and solutions:
>
> - some NAT boxes drop fragmented UDP packets. You'll have to
> mess around
>   with TCP segment sizes and/or encrypt fragments.
>
> - The NAT box does not affect any protocols, like FTP,
> because it's modifying
>   the "outer" IP header and an artifical UDP header.
>
> - There might be address collisions. Two clients might be
> behind firewalls
> and have
>   the same address 192.168.98.6. Now they do quick mode to
> the same GW.
>   Trouble ahead. You need some NAT here, be it at the GW or
> at the client,
>   or private IP address by cfg-mode. Or something.
>
> J-rn
>

> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by

-------------------------------------
The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for
direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.