Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chen, David" <dchen@ellacoya.com>

> Jayant,
>
> It seems works if
> IKE is encapsulated in an UDP/IP with the same as IKE's original 500/IP at
> initiator and the responder do not check the outer IP and knows to
> decapsulate the outer UDP/IP.

Yes, but the information from the outer header is needed
to redirect the replies properly.

> Extra header consumes bandwidth, but it is signal; therefore, can trade
for
> security through NAPT.

If you do it only for the first packet, then you don't even waste
much bandwidth.

> For ESPoUDP,
> it is desirable having maping as TCP->TCP and UDP->UDP and
> OtherProtocol->OtherProtocol from inner to outer and not just uniformly
> using
> UDP.

Yes, it is desirable to have mapping TCP-> TCP and UDP->UDP,
but then it is *no longer* ESPoUDP. For them, it is TCP/UDP->UDP.
It is in NGISec that you have TCP->TCP and UDP->UDP.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shukla-ipsec-nat-qos-compatible
-security-00.txt

> Furthermore, for IP QoS,
> it seems only DS (TOS byte) is significant for IP packets classification.
> It also can be copied from inner to outer.

While DS may be sufficient in some cases, it is
highly desirable to have per-flow based QoS.
With TCP->TCP and UDP->UDP mapping and
the transport layer header visible in the clear, we
can support per-flow (application level) based QoS.

> It seems, for traverse NAPT securely, the answer is
> copying all the inner encrypted header to outer (except addresses and
> checksum)?

In short, yes. As long as you have a mechanism for
decapsulating the packets with extra headers,
generating the mappings from inner headers to outer headers,
and using the mappings to redirect the outbound packets
appropriately.

regards,
Jayant