Re: Simplifying IKE

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Jan Vilhuber wrote:
> Hm.. Not sure where to go with this discussion. What's the difference between
> people (and not just one or two) *thinking* they need something, and it being
> true that they need it? If there's enough of them, then it becomes true.

No; belief and reality *are* different.  The way you tell the difference
is to design and build a decent-but-not-all-things-to-all-people solution,
and listen to see if the outraged screams and angry grumbling slowly die
away.

You can't settle this on mailing lists or in front of blackboards.  As
long as your design is just paper, people will find a thousand reasons why
it's not good enough or why it needs 57 more options.  Actual code and
operational experience is needed to show them wrong.  That's the way the
IETF is supposed to do things, remember!

We should be aiming for a simple, clean, middle-of-the-road solution with
few options.  After that's *in service* for a while, then is the time to
take a hard look at whether anything else is needed.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: