Re: Simplifying IKE

On thing that might help to show that there really is
a division in the problem space is that VPN's generally
compete with the time it takes a modem to train --
ie, they are replacing dial and its expectations which
has a lot of head room for fat. It's hard to imagine
how you coujld make a VPN startup worse than that.

On the other hand, we have transport like uses
which have the expectation that anything you add
beyond SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK is unwanted overhead (or
less). Many thing are already piling on with
just-one-more-exchangeitus, and security (along
with signaled QoS) deliver us pretty quickly to
hell by way of handbasket.

So, I really don't have a very good opinion on
how to make the engineering tradeoffs, but it
seems as long as there is transport mode IPsec,
this sort of debate is going to go on.

[and to the fans of killing transport, do tell
 what the viable alternative is to IPsec, and
 please don't say TLS since it doesn't work with
 UDP]

	Mike